Wednesday, February 15, 2012

February Fun

We have been having so much fun and doing so many things it is hard to keep up.  Last Saturday, we went to the circus in the morning thanks to one of my student's families who got tickets for my class to go on Friday and had leftovers for us to use Saturday.  I was worried that the noise might bother Mary Scott because she does not like really loud noise, but she had a blast!  I knew she would love seeing the animals, and she also loved the "ights."  Ever since downtown Lexington put up Christmas lights we talk about "ights" daily as we drive through downtown and anywhere else we see lights.  A great time was had by all!
                                     Clapping for the dancing dogs- her favorite part

Saturday night we went over to another one of my student's houses to have an authentic Chinese meal.  I have the sweetest child in my class whose family came to the United States in 2000.  The family invited his sister's teacher and husband and two other families who started an Internationals ministry at a church downtown.  It was so interesting to talk to one of the men about China and how closed off of a society it is, and how little religious and social freedom they have.  It was also very sad to think that if my student still lived in China he would never be educated and would be hidden in the household.  His family deals so well with his disability, and it is so inspiring to see a family be able to overcome their upbringing and to be so proud of their son.  Mary Scott had a wonderful time (she loved the food), and I love that she got to experience a culture different from hers even though she is too young to understand.  I want to make sure that she does have different cultural experiences, as well as experiences with people with disabilities.

We had a lot of fun enjoying Mary Scott's 2nd Valentine's Day.  It is funny how excited you get about first holidays even though the child has no clue what is going on.  Even though she still doesn't understand, it is much more fun to do things with her on holidays.  On Valentine's morning we made heart shaped cinnamon toast, and let her open her gift from us.  We also made a heart shaped cake that was made out of a twinkie cut diagonally, and then topped with icing and sprinkles.  I did the toast and the twinkles with my class, and had a great time with my class and Mary Scott.  She devoured the twinkie!!





We love having so much fun with Mary Scott, and she truly makes everyday an adventure.  I even love all of the "no's" and "mine's" and realized how blessed I am to get to hear those.


A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

1 comment: