I have been planning to potty train Mary Scott this summer for a LONG time! I have potty trained many children at school, based on a study done by Azrin and Fox who potty trained people with developmental disabilities. It is a very no-nonsense approach that works!
The key components:
1) Once you start you throw the diapers OUT! Pull-ups can be worn for naps and night-time ONLY
2) Take the child on a schedule (I started with 20 minutes and went down to 15 in between after the 1st day) I made her sit for 4 minutes or until she went potty
3) Push fluids
4) Talk about it before you start and let them watch you potty, let them sit on the potty
5) Pick our a good reward- must be something they ONLY get when they potty
6) Pick out fun underwear that the child will like
7) Plan to stay at home until the child gets it
8) Correction procedure when they have an accent (I would firmly tell her you pee on the potty and then made her sit for 4 minutes after an accident) They may cry that is OK
Day One
I started after nap on a Monday, and I had told Mary Scott that we were throwing the diapers out after nap, and she was going to get to wear her Minnie underwear. The first day was a DISASTER, and I am so glad it was only a half day. She stayed dry for a while, but then once she had an accident she peed every 5 minutes on herself. I think she realized she was wet, so she would stop once she went some, but then once we changed she would do it again. We were both upset, and almost out of underwear when the MAGIC HAPPENED! She was crying sitting on the potty and then all of a sudden turned and gave me the BIGGEST grin! She had peed some in the potty. As you can imagine, I got very excited and cheered and then gave her some candy. That lasted for a few minutes, and then she wet again, but then again she peed some in the potty too. I still gave her candy even though she had wet first because I wanted her to make the connection. Thankfully we ended with a glimmer of hope right before bedtime!
One of our "meltdowns" because mommy got candy after she peed in the toilet :) I knew I had picked a good reward after I saw this. haha
Day Two
We changed into underwear as soon as she woke up, and she was dry for an hour. Again, once she went she would go a little every 10 minutes. Just as I was about to get frustrated, she went again in the potty. That seemed to click because after that we had very few accidents. We would get so excited when she would go, and we called all of our immediate family members so they could cheer for us!
Days Three on
Once she got it, she got it, and by day Three we ventured out for a walk and then to CVS, and she stayed dry the entire time. We have now gone out many places and have gone to church and she has done very well. She still doesn't always initiate, but as long as I remind her every hour or so she stays dry.
Pooping- The first day I let her have more milk than normal to push the fluids, but I think I made her constipated. By the 2nd days she needed to poop, but it was hurting and that was tough. She has gone some in her pull-up during naps and at night, but in the last couple of days she has started going in the toilet. I had to give her a stool softener, and I would recommend doing this maybe the day before you start potty training to make pooping easier. She still gets a little scared about going in the toilet because she remembers that it hurt! I made a special big reward for poops, which has also helped ease the fears.
The link to the Azrin and Foxx Book for potty training typical children (I didn't buy this book, and didn't know it existed until after I had started, but I have read the article on people with disabilities, and it is excellent):
Azin and Fox- Toilet Training in Less Than a Day
http://www.amazon.com/Toilet-Training-Less-Than-Day/dp/0671693808
It is well worth the frustration and cleaning, because once it is done it is done. I also think it is easier to train younger children because they are not as much in the "stubborn" stage as a 3 year old.

No comments:
Post a Comment